Making the development application process easier.

A town planner from Wall Planning & Environmental Consulting can help you better understand your application for material change of use in Queensland.

When was the last time you had time to sit and read the Planning Act 2016?

If you’re like most of the population, the answer is never.  Our town planners have not only read it, but they understand it and know how best to apply it to your material change of use request.


If you’re looking to change the way you currently use your property, you may need council approval. This is done with a Material Change of Use (MCU) request. You will need to submit this to council if:

You want to use the property for a new use or activity, including constructing new business premises.

You want to re-establish a use that was previously abandoned such as expanding businesses.

You want to increase the scale of an activity on the property, such as farming, industrial, or resources.


Book an obligation-free consultation today




Industrial & Resources


Why use a town planning consultant for your
material change of use request?

When it comes to changing the use of your property, it may be a straightforward application that you can complete yourself.

But what if it’s not? 

Depending on the property’s current zoning and what you wish to change it to, your application may require additional assessments from federal and state agencies, not just your local council. This may mean discussions with a variety of government agencies, including: 

Everything You Need To Know About Applying For Material Change Of Use

If you’ve recently acquired a property and are hoping to transform it into something completely new, you’ll need to apply for a material change of use. Of course, you might be asking what that all means, and trust us, you aren’t alone. But don’t feel overwhelmed because we’re here to help, providing you with the ins and outs of all things material change of use.

What Is A Material Change Of Use, And Why Do We Need It?

Okay, so a material change of use, what does it all mean? Essentially, material change of use refers to altering the way a property is utilised. For example, you have just purchased a house, but you intend to flip it into a medical practice or perhaps a cafe. In this instance, you would need to submit a material change of use application. Additionally, if you’ve purchased land and wish to alter how land is used (turning it into a zoo, for example), you’ll also need to apply for a material change of use. More specifically, though, the Planning Act 2016 stipulates that a material change of use is required when:

  • Starting a new use or activity on a property;
  • Re-establishing a use that was previously abandoned;
  • Increasing the intensity or scale of an activity on a property.

What You Need When Applying For A Material Change Of Use

So now we’ve established what a material change of use is and why we need it, let’s go through what you’ll need to include in your application. To apply for a material change of use, you’ll need:

  • To contact your local council. Requirements for a material change of use vary from council to council. Get in touch with your local government to make sure you have everything you need moving forward.
  • Owners consent. If you are not the owner of the property, then you’ll need to get the owners permission in writing before making any changes.
  • Proposal details. This includes everything from the address to the intended final product. What you want to change, how you expect to change it, who you will enlist to get the job done, etc.
  • Visual impact analysis.How will the new structure affect the existing views?
  • Planning report. This will detail how the project adheres to the Planning Act 2016. This includes but is not limited to city plan codes, zoning requirements and other projects that your proposal may impact.
  • Plans/drawings. Include diagrams, blueprints and other visuals to demonstrate how your finished project will look.
  • Specialist reports and any other supporting documentation. You will need to attach any supporting documents to your application, including any specialist reports required to proceed with the project.

Additionally, you’ll be asked to pay an application fee at the time of lodgement. We understand that it sounds like a lot, and it’s natural to feel overwhelmed. Rest easy, though, because we’re here to help, providing support and advice each step of the way.

How We Can Help You With Your Material Change Of Use Application

We understand that filling out applications can be stressful, and that’s why we do that hard yard for you, helping to complete your material change of use so that it can be processed as soon as possible. Here at Wall Planning & Environmental Consulting, we’re experts in assisting clients in getting their material change of use applications sorted. With decades of town planning experience under our belts, we offer professional advice to help validate your application, increasing its chances of success. We’ll also liaise with your assessment manager to help answer any queries you may have about the process or any other aspects of the application process. And don’t worry about the negotiation process because we’ve got that sorted too, using our expertise and experience to help you and your project come out on top.

If You Need Assistance With A Material Change Of Use, Wall Planning & Environmental Consulting Are Here To Help.

For over 10 years, Wall Planning & Environmental Consulting has been providing quality community engagement services throughout the Central Queensland region. We’re renowned for our honesty, integrity, reliability and extensive industry knowledge. We’re proud to provide unrivalled Material Change of Use solutions while refusing to compromise on quality. If you’re in the resources, property, energy, or government sector and on the lookout for a multi-disciplinary business that can help with your next property, infrastructure or community project, contact Wall Planning & Environmental Consulting today.


When you engage a WPE town planning consultant, they will help you with:

Providing professional advice on your application for validity and chance of success

Completing your application paperwork so it can be processed as quickly as possible

Liaising with your assigned assessment manager to answer any queries

Negotiate and liaise on your behalf for the best possible outcome for your project.

Want to kickstart a development project ...but don't know where to start?

Sign up HERE
to receive a free copy of our
development kickstarter ebook:

“Development Applications:
The Tips You Need To Know”


Longreach Development

What Does a Town
Planner Cost

5 Important Questions
for your Town Planner

Want to submit a Material Change of Use Application?
Speak to one of our experienced town planners today, obligation-free!